There is no denying that the citizens of Nave have faces only a mother could love, and in many cases a body of hair that even Robin Williams would be impressed by. Not too long ago, Star Vault set up a donation system where players are able to throw a little extra into the coffers. The idea, of course, is that while Star Vault does not receive 100% of revenue from subscriptions (I’m guessing much of it goes to licensing), they are able to keep 100% of the donations, which they put toward extra development goals.
The latest goal to be announced comes in the form of $6,000 toward the “character build” update, aiming to bring a brand new look to Nave’s player folk, both in the face and armor departments. The update will also allow several other features to be put into place, including general optimizations and a few other graphical improvements. The whole list of improvements is as follows:
- Much better looking player characters (rebuild of all races and genders).
- Better looking character face customization; more support for scars, tattoos etc.
- Rebuild of all armor meshes/materials/shaders parts making them look much better.
- Allowing us to add more and new armor parts in the game.
- Almost all resource material gets its real and unique look.
- Much better control over the dye system.
- Better performance on player characters, no more 1-2s freeze lags when loading a bunch of players.
- Removal of the texture merges system which means a big memory optimization on the client and better overall performance.
- More players on the screen will not add cost on the client as it did in the old system.
- A full new armor set will be included in this package; new types will arrive in the future now since the new system will allow it.
The donation system has drawn some controversy, although from outside the Mortal Online community rather than inside of it. The concept may seem surprising to players outside of the game, but the community hasn’t just embraced the donation system, they are the ones who demanded it be put in place to begin with.
(Source: Mortal Online)