Planetside Shutting Down July 1st


00025934-photo-planetside-core-combat

April and May were really exciting months for us with the release of the new Construction System, base revamp of Indar, and new population caps to improve battle flow. It’s been exciting to watch all of you experiment with base design and shift battles in new directions. A big thanks to all of you who have jumped in to try it out and given us feedback.

While we hope you are as excited as we are about the recent changes, we do have to make a more solemn announcement. On July 1st, at 4:00 PM PT, we will be closing the PlanetSide 1 server. PlanetSide 1 has a very important history with Daybreak Games and a special place in the hearts of those who work on its successor. While we have run the game for free since 2014, due to evolving business needs and technical requirements it has become necessary to conclude this service.

We hope you will take this opportunity to enjoy the remaining time available with each other and please help us give PlanetSide 1 the sendoff it deserves.

Planetside was supported likely only by the grace of John Smedley and nostalgia, and since Smedley is no longer present and Daybreak has been axing projects left and right in an effort to reduce spending, it was only a matter of time before this ancient shooter got the axe.

(Source: Planetside 2)

Landmark Steam Launch “Mostly Negative,” Traffic Mostly Absent


EverQuestNextLandmark64 2014-02-03 00-23-35-78

Landmark’s launch on Steam last week, optimistically, should have been a positive thing. The game has been in development for a long time, suffered through the loss of its companion MMO, the sale of its developer and subsequent layoffs, and the sunsetting of a large number of titles on the launchpad that it shares. It should have been a happy moment. You can take a look at the Steam Landmark forums and see pretty quickly that optimism is in fairly short supply.

As of Sunday night, Landmark is sitting on Steam with a 39% “mostly negative” rating, of more than 1,800 reviews. The game has peaked in Steam traffic at 125 concurrent users, according to Steam charts. Threads in the forums often bring up the words “scam,” “ripoff,” and expletives we won’t go into here.

So what happened? To understand that, we need to dive into some history.

Landmark was originally sold as Everquest: Landmark, it was supposed to be the game that would serve as the basis upon which Everquest Next would be built. Players were told that they could build things in Landmark with the best of the best making their way over to the MMO. It would also allow Sony Online Entertainment to test the engine and experimental ideas.

Then SOE got spun off and became Daybreak Game Company. Games were shut down, people were fired, and ultimately we learned that Everquest Next was being cancelled. It just wasn’t fun, we were told.

So players are understandably upset. Many feel that customers were misled by Daybreak selling a game as the foundation for something that they might have known wasn’t working out and likely wouldn’t see completion. Seeing as Landmark was supposed to be a content creation platform for Everquest Next, the cancellation of the latter makes the former seem mostly pointless.

Other players are angry that Daybreak has not provided Steam keys to people who bought the game during early access, regardless of how much they spent, coupled with the fact that they suddenly announced in March that the game would no longer be free to play as the company had been advertising up until then. There is also heavy criticism of the game’s content, allegations of poor optimization, floaty combat, and little to do in-game with a number of features heavily cut or cancelled outright like player vs player combat.

For the fact that Landmark has 1,800 reviews, no one seems to be playing it on Steam. As of this publishing, the peak player count since launch has been 125 people. It is currently sitting near 1,000 on the list of most played Steam games.

Landmark’s long term viability will need to be seen.

Cryptic Founder Now CEO Of Daybreak Game Company


Jack-Emmert

Daybreak Game Company is now being headed by a founder of Cryptic Studios, and it isn’t Bill Roper. In a press release posted yesterday, we learned that Jack Emmert is joining the former Sony Online Entertainment studio as chief executive officer stationed at the studio’s San Diego headquarters.

“I’m very proud of what we accomplished at Cryptic Studios, and I’m ready for a new set of challenges,” said Emmert. “As a lifelong comic book fan, I’m thrilled to become part of the DCUO team and eager to engage and play alongside new communities of players. I look forward to being a part of the future of DCUO, as well as guiding our roster of new titles out of Daybreak Austin.”

Emmert founded Cryptic Studios in 2000, leading his studio in creating much beloved MMOs like City of Heroes.

(Source: Daybreak Game Company press release)

[Video] H1Z1: KOTK Unveils New Ignition Mode


Daybreak Game Company have released the official trailer for H1Z1: King of the Kill’s newest game mode, Ingition.

Ignition is a high-intensity, frenzied game mode where the clock is always ticking. Players are outfitted with an explosive device that’s set to blow unless they gear up fast, jump on their ATV, and gun it to the safe zone. Every second matters in this turbo-charged battle to the death as players race from safe zone to safe zone before their time runs out.

Surprise! DC Universe Launched On Xbox One Today


DCUO_scr_DLC10_1PlyrWW_003

Daybreak Game Company previously announced that DC Universe Online would be heading to Microsoft’s latest console generation, and the less patient of you need wait no longer. As of noon today EST, you can download the free to play superhero MMO on Xbox One and create your dream hero or villain. While there is no cross-platform play with PC and Playstation gamers, content on the Xbox is on par with what is available on the other platforms.

While the game is free to play, you do need Xbox Live in order to play.

(Source: DC Universe)

Construction Hits Planetside 2


901

Daybreak Game Company has deployed the latest major update to Planetside 2, introducing the ability for players to deploy custom fortifications. The three factions are now competing, in addition to territory, for Cortium, a resource that can only be harvested using 4-man transport vehicles known as ANTs. An ANT also grants schematics to create new buildings like Cortium silos and HIVEs which generate victory points over time.

Cortium, a powerful new mineral, has recently been unearthed. This limited resource allows for the near-instantaneous deployment of player-built fortifications. The discovery of Cortium has prompted the deployment of Advanced Nanite Transports (ANTs), which harvest the mineral and convert it into material that can be used in the field.

In addition to Cortium, the entire continent of Indar has been reconstructed. Numerous outposts have been renovated or outright removed in order to make room for player-built bases.

(Source: Planetside 2)

Daybreak Game Company in “Growth” Mode


zombies

Laura Naviaux Sturr, chief publishing officer over at Daybreak Game Company, sat down with Gamesindustry.biz in order to discuss the developer’s last year, certain hurdles, and how the company is looking forward. Over the past year, Sony Online Entertainment was spun off into its own company under a new name, saw massive layoffs and the closure of several titles, shuttered development on Everquest Next, and saw several high profile names jump ship including John Smedley.

Despite these layoffs, the company is growing and hiring.

“DC Universe Online continues to be strong and we’re bringing it to Xbox this spring. And EverQuest, it’s hard to believe, will turn 17 next week. Both [EQ and EQ2] will have fully fledged expansion packs this fall. And then there’s PlanetSide 2, of course, which we brought to PlayStation last year.”

One aspect of development that Daybreak has embraced over the past year is early access, starting with Everquest Landmark and moving on to zombie survival game H1Z1. H1Z1 was spun off into two separate products and two development teams, with one taking on the survival aspect and the other handling the Hunger Games-styled arena survival mode. The inaugural invitational for H1Z1 was the most viewed event at Twitchcon 2015, throwing in $173,000 in prizes.

Daybreak sees potential in VR, as a source of future premium content and potentially what could bring back subscription-based games. You can read all of Sturr’s thoughts at the link below.

(Source: Gamesindustry.biz)

Daybreak Game Company Already Making Another Game


EverQuestNextLandmark64 2014-02-03 00-23-35-78

You might be under the impression that Daybreak Game Company is facing tough times, given the layoffs, shutting off a large section of its library, and recent cancellation of Everquest Next, but don’t let that fool you: Daybreak is hiring. According to their official website, Daybreak is hiring for an unannounced title and is seeking a senior producer and a creative director.

There aren’t a whole lot of details, but judging from the experience required the game will be action-oriented and launch on PC and consoles. Given their recent history, it is very likely that this title will wind up on sale as an early access title.

(Source: Daybreak Game Company)

Planetside 2 Shutting Down In China


planetside2image2

Planetside 2 China joins the growing list of Daybreak Game Company products that have shut down or will be shutting down shortly. As reported by MMO Culture, Planetside 2’s Chinese publisher The9 announced that it would not be renewing its contract with Daybreak to publish the massively multiplayer shooter and will be taking the servers down at the end of May. According to reports, despite the notable amount of money spent promoting the title, Planetside 2’s venture in the east never wound up receiving many updates.

The9 will instead be focusing on the upcoming launch of Firefall.

(Source: MMO Culture)

Daybreak Reneges On Free To Play, Splits H1Z1 In Half


2015-01-15_00001

Free to play your way is going away as Daybreak Game Company announced today that the zombie game will be split into two separate titles, with both requiring a down payment in order to get into. Since its announcement, Daybreak has billed the title as early access with an eventual launch into free to play, as shown by the following description on the game’s Steam page.

“Initially available as a Steam Early Access title with optional in-game RMT marketplace purchases, H1Z1 will later launch as a Free to Play. Your Way™ title with optional in-game RMT marketplace purchases.”

According to a blog post on the official website, the decision comes down to both games getting to the point where they would require their own dedicated development teams in order to progress efficiently. The two versions effectively split the battle royale and survival modes into their own separate clients with separate teams and separate characters. H1Z1: King of the Hill will launch on PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4 later this summer with a console version of H1Z1: Just Survive coming down the road.

The more we developed this game with you, our community, the more we realized that in order to fully support both aspects of H1Z1, and their respective players, we needed to make them their own stand-alone games supported by their own dedicated development teams.

Anyone who has already purchased H1Z1, or purchases it before February 17th, will be granted both copies. For everyone else, the game will cost $19.99 each.

(Source: H1Z1)